Laptop no go

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Laptop no go

Post by Alby on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:30 pm

Guys...
The wifes HP laptop has 'done the narna'.
It was working fine until two nights ago. The back story is... it's an ex work machine I got for $50. You don't know who used it or how it was treated.
Usually the batteries are on the way out by the time Barwon Water offers them to staff.
They are primarily used to access work when on standby (on call) so not much else...
Ok...
The machine stopped. and when I turn on, the yellow charge light flashes a few times and then nothing.
I've tested the charger ... no reading. So it's my guess that's what the problem is....unless I'm testing the wrong points.... (has pin in the centre of the plug).
I took the battery out, drained the capacitors by turning it on. Tried again with charger...
Nothing.
Am I wasting my time, or is it worth having a crack with a new charger?
We need what's on the HDD as well ... If I can't get the m/c going, how do I access the drive?

Anyone had or heard of this problem ?
avatar
Alby
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 1503
Join date : 2012-05-11
Age : 54
Location : Geelong, Vic., Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Laptop no go

Post by sanshoe on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:08 pm

Think it's gone to God Al, not sure what to do to access the hard drive mate.
avatar
sanshoe
Extreme contributor
Extreme contributor

Posts : 899
Join date : 2012-04-22
Age : 69
Location : Right here..Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Laptop no go

Post by satrat on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:42 pm

Alby wrote:Guys...
The wifes HP laptop has 'done the narna'.
It was working fine until two nights ago. The back story is... it's an ex work machine I got for $50. You don't know who used it or how it was treated.
Usually the batteries are on the way out by the time Barwon Water offers them to staff.
They are primarily used to access work when on standby (on call) so not much else...
Ok...
The machine stopped. and when I turn on, the yellow charge light flashes a few times and then nothing.
I've tested the charger ... no reading. So it's my guess that's what the problem is....unless I'm testing the wrong points.... (has pin in the centre of the plug).
I took the battery out, drained the capacitors by turning it on. Tried again with charger...
Nothing.
Am I wasting my time, or is it worth having a crack with a new charger?
We need what's on the HDD as well ... If I can't get the m/c going, how do I access the drive?

Anyone had or heard of this problem ?

Hi Al either way it's going to cost you money mate

http://www.wikihow.com/Recover-Data-from-the-Hard-Drive-of-a-Dead-Laptop

_________________
East Riding of Yorkshire
avatar
satrat
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 746
Join date : 2012-04-22
Age : 70
Location : Beverley East Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Laptop no go

Post by zebadee on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:03 am

avatar
zebadee
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 799
Join date : 2012-04-22
Age : 65

http://www.friendsofudvdr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Laptop no go

Post by sanshoe on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:08 am

I knew Zeb would come up with something. thumbsup
avatar
sanshoe
Extreme contributor
Extreme contributor

Posts : 899
Join date : 2012-04-22
Age : 69
Location : Right here..Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Laptop no go

Post by Alby on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks guys.
Getting a charger from works IT dept sent down to me...(being nice all these years is starting to pay off ...heh heh).
I'll try it and let you know.
avatar
Alby
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 1503
Join date : 2012-05-11
Age : 54
Location : Geelong, Vic., Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Laptop no go

Post by Alby on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:52 pm

Well.... it's charging...
I'll wait for Mandy to use it before I get too confident...
avatar
Alby
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 1503
Join date : 2012-05-11
Age : 54
Location : Geelong, Vic., Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Laptop no go

Post by satrat on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:35 am

Alby wrote:Well.... it's charging...
I'll wait for Mandy to use it before I get too confident...

How's the laptop going AL

_________________
East Riding of Yorkshire
avatar
satrat
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 746
Join date : 2012-04-22
Age : 70
Location : Beverley East Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Laptop no go

Post by zebadee on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:10 am

satrat wrote:
Alby wrote:Well.... it's charging...
I'll wait for Mandy to use it before I get too confident...

How's the laptop going AL

Hi Smile
Is this a case of no news is good news?
avatar
zebadee
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 799
Join date : 2012-04-22
Age : 65

http://www.friendsofudvdr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Laptop no go

Post by satrat on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:56 pm

zebadee wrote:
satrat wrote:
Alby wrote:Well.... it's charging...
I'll wait for Mandy to use it before I get too confident...

How's the laptop going AL

Hi Smile
Is this a case of no news is good news?

Just typical cast a side like a empty beer can  computer ROTFLMAO 

_________________
East Riding of Yorkshire
avatar
satrat
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 746
Join date : 2012-04-22
Age : 70
Location : Beverley East Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Laptop no go

Post by Alby on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:37 pm

oops... this is embarrassing ..... Yes it worked..... and is still going... And I know this because I still use it from time to time.... Mandy now has an ipad....
Sorry for not responding guys.
avatar
Alby
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 1503
Join date : 2012-05-11
Age : 54
Location : Geelong, Vic., Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Laptop no go

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum