[ 2 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
6% 6% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 29

Re: What OS do you use?

Post by SithTracy on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:30 pm

IE 10 will not be a selling point for me. Usability is without a doubt, very important to me. Having a desktop is nice, but how hard is it to get to your apps? General usability is important to me. I may order an OEM version of the Pro soon. I'm just not convinced it will be a good investment. After all, I still hate the "ribbon" interface introduced in MS Office.
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:15 pm

I imagine Windows 8 will be more appealing if I get new hardware that enhances the experience. Problem is I am happy with the hardware I have today. I suspect that Windows 8 is just ahead of it's time for most folks in this current world economic situation. Again, I never had a problem with menu bars and I hate the ribbon interface. Windows XP was a success for as long as it lasted; Windows 7 is just an extension of that success. Windows 8 is a new direction and I find, that at this point in my life, I am not ready for that journey. Windows 8 will never show up in my work environment (large corporate arena). Apple and Android have a significant lead in the tablet arena. Have to see how this plays out. But I am not rushing in...
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by zebadee on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi Smile

Well I have gone all in with Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

My opinion changed when trying out a Windows phone.

I had gone with android for the beginning.

But the Windows 7.5/7.8(7.8 has hints of Windows 8 ).

Just blows away the competition, in terms of how I use my mobile when it comes to internet use.

I have already upset a work colleague thrashing his iPhone 5.

He almost had tears in his eyes.

If like me (now).

You have xbox "live" - Windows phones.

Windows 8 makes sense.

Users of XP & Vista can download an upgrade version of Windows 8 Pro for just £24.95 (GBP).

Great value for money.

Even Windows 7 users would see some benefit.

But if you're happy with your lot.

Then stick with what you know.

BTW. Before you upgrade..... Make an image of your current set up.

You can't just uninstall the upgrade.

You have to format should you wish to go back to previous OS.

Follow friendsofudvdr on   friendsofudvdr
zebadee

http://www.friendsofudvdr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:26 am

If I go "8" it would be dedicated to it's on HDD or SSD. I would be an OEM installer or I will get it to use in a VM. I imagine I should at least get a feel for it because I do a ton of computer side jobs for extra income. No rush for me though. I have kids... I know one wants a laptop for XMAS, I imaging Windows 8 will be the norm... and it will end up with the Pro version. Really though, MS has lost the WOW appeal.

And yes, we have the XBOX... We also have iPhones which I prefer over Android. My beef with Android was it was all over the place... apps were a crap shoot... works on this device, does not on this one. My co-worker has a Windows phone; says it locks up all the time and he is frustrated with it. I have not seen it first hand. We are IT guys though.
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by zebadee on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:50 am

Hi Smile
In hindsight I have to agree that android phones are less organised when it comes to apps.
Plus I too had problems with android phones locking up.
Even switching off!
Of the 3 Windows phones I currently use.
None have shown any problems of either nature.

Windows 8 desktop.
If you get p****d off trying to find your way round.
Give the desktop a familiar feel...

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Follow friendsofudvdr on   friendsofudvdr
zebadee

http://www.friendsofudvdr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:32 pm

One thing I will note, glad to see Windows 8 has not eliminated the command prompt. I am so "old school" that I spend a great amount of time doing searches and writing shell scripts (batch) there!
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:11 pm

I pulled the trigger on an 64 bit Pro version of 8/System Builder/OEM... Amazon had a promotion credit of $30 US that made it more appealing, of course now I will have to watch for another 240MB SSD to go on sale. I am enjoying my SSD more and more with use.
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Still watching for sales on SSD's in the US. Really fond of my Kingston Hyper X 3K... so no install done yet. Was thinking about putting it up on a VM on the MacBook... but nah... want to see how ticked I get at it on the desktop. I imagine the Mac's superior touch pad would make it easier and I might like it there!!! DOH!!!

My wife did get me a Google Nexus 7 and as turned off as I had been by Android, this device has given me short term memory. Have just had it a couple of days and I really enjoy it (well... a small lesson learned... if you want to toy with a new tech device, DO NOT install Angry Birds Star Wars on it. Your kids will take it and you may not see it for hours).

I suspect, very soon, I may put up a user experience review from someone that has owned DROID devices, owns both a PC and a MacBook Pro, has an iPhone, wife has an iPad2, and we have numerous Kindles (including the Fire) in the house.
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 am

Did get a Cyber Monday deal on an Intel 330 series SSD to install Windows 8 Pro on... That said, I did get my daughter a cyber-Monday deal on a Lenovo laptop that came with Windows 8 (standard) and booted it up to get it going and configured (in the event I need to box it up and send it back). Ugh... I don't know how I am going to get used to this OS. It is not user friendly to the technical mind. It goes against too much that you have gotten used to. Oh well, Windows 9 should be good next year.
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:11 am

Got my Intel SSD and installed "8 Pro" on it tonight. Went better than I expected, still prefer "7". I am figuring it out... Slowly but surely. Using Chrome... Don't care how good IE 10 is supposed to be, I don't trust a MS Browser.

Hows the integrated Firewall and "Defender"? Have a Kaspersky 2013 Internet Security licence at the ready. Any other apps that don't work? I do like that it can now preview my Canon cr2 RAW files. About damn time, Microsoft!
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:01 pm

Went ahead and installed Kaspersky... Have it, may as well use it. Have been very frustrated with the "Metro" experience. Installed Stardock's Start8 and Windows 8 is more tolerable. In fact, it is now Windows 7 again thanks to this handy tool. MS really should have offered this for traditional desktop work. I have installed a good number of my applications on "8". Lightroom and WordPerfect are working fine. Still much to install, but kids basketball has had me quite busy.
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:54 am

Decided to stick with Windows 8. Start8 was a difference maker. Not sure I love it, but I do like it better than I expected I would a week in. Going right to the desktop mode as the "Metro" experience is not for me.

I do know Firefox 17.0.1 sucks on it... Locks up constantly. I still prefer Firefox over Chrome, but not on Windows 8. I also had to let go of Winamp... Used it for years. Have issues with it under 8. Finally giving foobar2000 a look and it is working just fine for me. Also, the new iTunes 11 is actually pretty good.

Still, I will be truthful here... Anyone I know that is seeking my tech support skills and expert IT opinion, I am still going to tell them to buy a Mac! Very Happy
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by AZ-J on Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:55 pm

I use Win 7 Ultimate X64. I have a Win upgrade disk, but can't use on my PC.

Why? Wife has a new laptop with 8.1 and hates it. That's enough for me.
AZ-J

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum