AFL Round 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AFL Round 6

Post by Alby on Sun May 12, 2013 10:37 pm

Friday night was works 30year club annual dinner. Barwon Water pays for it. Always good to catch up with other blokes you used to and currently work with.

It was held at the Geelong Football Club... in the Captains Room (function room) You get a great view of the ground from that height. Good food, a couple of wines made for a great night... made better by them showing the game betwen Geelong and Essendon on the TV.... the two undefeated sides to date. The game played up in Melbourne. and.... yes sir ! The Cats clawed back a 20-odd deficit during the third qtr to win by 28 points !!

So ... The Cats sit on top of the ladder for the time being. And only one win ahead of 3 other sides. There's another 17 games to play so you can't get ahead of yourself when the competition is this close around the upper end of the ladder.
Alby

Back to top Go down

Re: AFL Round 6

Post by SithTracy on Mon May 13, 2013 3:45 am

Good luck to those Cats, mate. Hoping the Hawks can win another cup, but playoff hockey is a beast all in itself and I fear they may have pushed themselves to hard during the shortened season and gaining the presidents trophy for best record overall.
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alby on Mon May 13, 2013 10:28 am

I totally agree Tracy. It's shown out that a lot of times it's not the best team of the season but on the day itself. Seen that happen a number of times where a side gradually builds up to the end of the season and into the finals. Same with Andrews Sydney Swans last year. The Hawks were favourites but the Swans were better on the day.

By the way, Hawthorn exacted some revenge over the weekend by defeating the Swans.. Sorry Andrew.

The way the AFL finals system runs, you need to finish in the top 4 to give yourself the best chance of making the Grand Final.

The best 4 at this stage are: Geelong, Essendon, Sydney and Hawthorn.

One commentator (a Cats supporter). Has declared Hawthorn favs to win the flag. Even though Geelong beat them earlier. They are a tough unit to play against.
Alby

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams on Tue May 14, 2013 2:58 am

Good to hear your team is doing well Alby!

My daughters team is out of contention after losing Friday. And have their last regular season game on Tuesday.

She felt so bad after the game. She was playing a team with one of her best friends on it whom she played with for about 6 years of soccer and tackled on her hard to the ground. The girl landed bad on her hand and broke a finger. Bailey said it looked just awful...
4hams

http://www.digitalphotohaven.com/forum.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Alby on Tue May 14, 2013 10:32 am

She would too poor thing. Having broken and dislocated a couple myself it'll take a while to mend.

No good about the youngun there Joel. She playing on again next year ?

Or will there be more important things to do ...schooling etc. Are the other kids sport inclined ?
Alby

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams on Wed May 15, 2013 1:34 am

Yes she wants to play again next year for her final year of High School. She is a very high energy kid and was captain of the team.

2 of the other girls play some basketball here at the house and at school and the other plays soccer which starts tomorrow night.

Cheers!
4hams

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams on Thu May 16, 2013 11:50 am

I think you will like this AL.

sucker punch by Joel Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

She was in a scrum and pushed write threw it and fell to the ground. As she started to get up on of the little Brats on the other team sucker punched her...
4hams

Back to top Go down

Post by Alby on Thu May 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Holy Crap !!

Gotta love playing the sport mate. What age group is she playing?
Alby

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams on Fri May 17, 2013 9:38 am

She is 17. Final year of High School starts next september. She played 7 years of soccer and gave it up to play Rugby for the school team.
4hams

Back to top Go down

Post by Alby on Fri May 17, 2013 10:14 am

Hell of a change... Years of playing a 'non-contact' game to basically Full-On contact. Good on her. I played Aussie Rules in High School for a couple of years. Last game I played... bent down, grabbed the ball, as I got up... WHAM!! copped a 'hip n' shoulder' in the chest from another player. Knocked the stuffing out of me. After the game said something like screw you, took up cricket and never looked back. Best move I ever made. How do you guys feel about it ?
Alby

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams on Thu May 23, 2013 1:11 pm

We wish she was still playing league soccer but the league here has given the late teen and adult ladies the worst times to play that there are now only 4 teams from a pool of 20 teams the age group below.

We have had a lot of serious injuries in girls Rugby here in Canada this year. One of the girls on her team had her knee socket broken at the first tournament of the season. Poor girl is still on crutches... There was a young highschool girl who died from a second head injury within a week just last week in Ottawa.

It is a brutal tough game but she loves it and is quite good at it. She was the only Junior called up for almost all the Senior games last year and then this year the captain of the Senior team.

We just hope she stays healthy and uninjured as parents and try to encourage here in everything she tries...
4hams

Back to top Go down

Post by Alby on Thu May 23, 2013 1:21 pm

That's all you can do Joel...

Keep us posted on how she goes.
Alby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content