Set Top Box / PVR

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Set Top Box / PVR

Post by Alby on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Guys,
I've had to 'save' some TV shows I recorded on the PVR. Due to its age it doesn't have a USB output so I have to 'play' it onto a DVD recorder (borrowed) via comp leads then have burned to disc (x1). Long process.
My question is... If i were to buy a Set Top box with a USB port, can I record to a stick or HDD then copy onto disc via computer?
Or simply buy a DVD recorder... ? This is a lot more expensive.

Any ideas ?
Alby

Back to top Go down

Re: Set Top Box / PVR

Post by SithTracy on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:58 pm

I would look past the DVD recorder... Optical media is dying. I switched back to Cable television, while not a fan, I am considering building a MPC with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner Card for DVR'ing 4 programs at once... We got a cable package that includes Internet, Phone, and TV for 90 bucks a month but after all the service charges, taxes, and fees, we are paying about $160 a month!!! If we cut the DVR and use this thing, it saves us $25 of that. I should have enough spare parts around the house to put one together... It is just finding the time. I am still shopping around for other solutions as well... Let you know what I end up doing in a few months time.
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alby on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:53 pm

Problem is... it's mostly for others like mum and mum in law etc. They only have straight DVD players and don't know any better.
So I give them a disc and say "here you you, put in machine and press play." They like that.
Alby

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:37 am

Yah... I know... But I can say I got my Dad streaming... Put a Linksys router with a USB port on his network and he attached a USB HDD to it.. Got him a LG BD player for xmas on year and it can do DLNA... He loves it... Mom... well, that is another story. She struggles with DVD's!!! I'm just looking for cost savings. Doing something to save some bucks on the phone bill soon... Trying it first, before committing... cost will be $40... think it is worth trying to save hundreds a year on a land line!
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum